U.S. News & World Report’s 2019 best high schools rankings were released Tuesday with Middlesex County schools in Edison and Woodbridge being named in the Top 10.
High Technology High School in Lincroft was named the best public high school in New Jersey and a national ranking of 39. High Technology was also ranked best STEM high school nationwide.
Middlesex County Academy for Science, Mathematics and Engineering Technologies ranked third in the state, and 61st nationally. Woodbridge-based Middlesex County Academy for Allied Health is sixth statewide and 75th nationwide.
The report examined more than 23,000 schools nationwide with an updated methodology to create the rankings such as college readiness, college curriculum breadth, math and reading proficiency, math and reading performance, underserved student performance, and graduation rate. Under this methodology, U.S. News says nearly every public high school was ranked for the 2019 report.
“We enhanced the methodology to provide an even more comprehensive ranking that is easier to understand and, therefore, more useful to parents and educators,” said Robert Morse, chief data strategist at U.S. News. “Now, each school's score correlates to its national percentile – a school with a score of 70 is in the 70th percentile and ranks higher than 70 percent of schools. Going forward, this methodology will allow for intuitive comparisons of a school’s performance year after year.”
As a result of the changes, more than 17,000 public high schools are ranked, an increase of 2,700 from 2018. The No. 1 ranked school in the nation is Academic Magnet High School in South Carolina.
In this year’s rankings, U.S. News dropped the gold, silver or bronze labels.
Top 10 New Jersey high schools
- High Technology High School, Lincroft
- Bergen County Academies, Hackensack
- Middlesex County Academy for Science, Mathematics and Engineering Technologies, Edison
- Dr. Ronald E. McNair High School, Jersey City
- Biotechnology High School, Freehold
- Middlesex County Academy for Allied Health, Woodbridge
- Bergen County Technical High School – Teterboro, Teterboro
- Union County Magnet High School, Scotch Plains
- Academy for Information Technology, Scotch Plains
- Elizabeth High School, Elizabeth
Middlesex County rankings
- Middlesex County Academy for Science, Mathematics and Engineering Technologies, Edison, State Rank: 3
- Middlesex County Academy for Allied Health, Woodbridge, State Rank: 6
- West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North, Plainsboro, State Rank: 17
- John P. Stevens High School, Edison, State Rank: 35
- Highland Park High School, Highland Park, State Rank: 59
- Metuchen High School, Metuchen, State Rank: 65
- South Brunswick High School, Monmouth Junction, State Rank: 90
- South Plainfield High School, South Plainfield, State Rank: 96
- Monroe Township High School, Monroe, State Rank: 118
- East Brunswick High School, East Brunswick, State Rank: 124
- Edison High School, Edison, State Rank: 143
- Middlesex High School, Middlesex, State Rank: 148
- Dunellen High School, Dunellen, State Rank: 153
- John F. Kennedy Memorial High School, Iselin, State Rank: 163
- Piscataway Township High School, Piscataway, State Rank: 172
- Old Bridge High School, Matawan, State Rank: 184
- North Brunswick Township High School, North Brunswick, State Rank: 210
- Academy for Urban Leadership Charter School, Perth Amboy, State Rank: 232
- Colonia High School, Colonia, State Rank: 233
- Sayreville War Memorial High School, Parlin, State Rank: 234
- South River High School, South River, State Rank: 262
- Perth Amboy High School, Perth Amboy, State Rank: 283
- Woodbridge High School, Woodbridge, State Rank: 301
- South Amboy Middle/High School, South Amboy, State Rank: 307
- New Brunswick High School, New Brunswick, State Rank: 314
- Middlesex County Vocational School Piscataway, Piscataway, State Rank: 319
- Middlesex County Vocational School Perth Amboy, Perth Amboy, State Rank: 334
High schools listed after rank 350, such as Middlesex County Vocational School East Brunswick, did not receive a specific rank. Instead, their rank is listed as 351-407.