SOUTH BRUNSWICK — With the new school year starting on Thursday, township police will begin their "Operation Safe Schools," campaign.

The initiative places an officer at each of the district's schools and enhanced traffic enforcement designed to promote safety during drop-off and pick-up times.

"This year, we will once again use our Operation Safe Schools program to ensure a safe start to the school year," said Police Chief Raymond Hayducka. "Our focus is to assist in a smooth transition for all students, parents, and teachers."

The department anticipates that at a minimum a dozen officers will be dedicated to the campaign.

The operation is conducted in response to increased traffic typically a byproduct of the start of a new school year.

"We typically see added traffic around the schools during the first few weeks of the school year as parents and students get adjusted," Hayducka said. "Working together, we can make this a great start to the new school year."

South Brunswick has about 9,000 public school students, according to the department's release.

The chief also added that "motorists need to add additional time for morning commutes," and "they should be alert for increased pedestrian crossings and school buses."

Connect with MonroeNow

Sign up to get news alerts and local happenings in your inbox. And follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more content.

Email: Lang@MonroeNow.com. Find us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter

Correspondent

Christopher Lang is a freelance correspondent for MonroeNow. Previously he was part of The Record-USA Today Network and served as an editor for a decade at NJMG.

MORE FROM MONROENOW