SOUTH BRUNSWICK – A fire ripped through a two-story home on Saturday, displacing a family and causing “extensive damage,” authorities said on Monday.
The cause of the fire has been ruled “not suspicious,” but what started the blaze is still being investigated, the South Brunswick Police Department said in a press release.
First responders also had to evacuate “20 homes near where the fire was while they waited for PSEG to come secure the gas line,” authorities said.
The displaced family, with three school-aged children, is staying with relatives. A Go Fund Me page has been set up to help the family.
The fire was reported around 6 p.m. on Saturday on Kory Drive. “When officers and firefighters arrived they found smoke coming from the top floor of a two-story home,” authorities said.
The family had already evacuated the home. Responding firefighters were able to contain the blaze to one area of the home when they discovered a gas leak, leading to additional evacuations of nearby homes.
“There were 55 firefighters on scene and they were able to quickly put out the fire but had to wait for the gas to be shut off to be sure,” said Kendall Park Fire Chief Chris Perez.
There were no injuries reported.